At the Elm City Vineyard, we "seek the peace and prosperity of the city...because if it prospers, [we] too will prosper." (Jeremiah 29:7). As people placed in and around New Haven, we want to see this city thrive and flourish as a sign of God's presence in our city.
Given that, our church always want to provide some practical avenues for people to serve New Haven. Ask the Lord for the right rhythm for you as you consider serving. We understand that some ECVers' professional is serving our city already, serving the world around us with their vocation, or serving in other costly ways that limit their time. We trust the Spirit to guide you as you pray for your next step in loving our city.
Here are some practical ways to serve our city that ECV either leads or supports. Unless noted otherwise, they happen every week.
- Make a difference in the lives of local New Haven children through Youth Without Limits, a weekly outreach in a New Haven Housing Authority neighborhood on Monday evenings from 5:30-7:30 pm. Build mentoring relationships with the youth through games, Bible time, worship, and sharing pizza together. Eastview Terrace, 185 Eastern Street. Contact: email@example.com
- Every month, join the Nonviolence Campaign against Homicides. Next meeting is 11/15 at 7pm. In-person and Zoom (email for link or adress). FYI - this is more organizing and justice-focused than direct service. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Serve Downtown Evening Soup Kitchen (DESK) from 4-7pm every 2nd Wednesday of the month. Sign-up here. Contact: Trinitybrandt@gmail.com
- Come pray for the Black Corner, 277 Edgewood Ave, on Thursdays at 2:15pm. Though this corner store is black-owned and operated (a rarity for New Haven), all races are welcome to pray for this store, the owners, customers, and kids at nearby Troup school. Contact: email@example.com
- Like basketball and mentoring? Serve at Ty's Hoop Dreams, Fridays at the Troup School gymnasium, 5:30-7:30 pm. Play full court games with the youth and participate in the faith talk/prayer time. 444 Orange Street. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a service opportunity you'd like to start or see up here? Let Josh know at email@example.com.
“Serving at ECV brought me in touch with the New Haven community, but it also brought me in touch with how much my faith can make a practical difference in someone else's life.”